Sunday, October 30, 2005

Ow

So on Oct. 14th I got hit by a car while riding my scooter. I had the scooter exactly one month & had just made my first payment on it the same day. The driver went through a stop sign. His excuse was it was dark, there were a lot of headlights & my white scooter blended in with them. My first thought was, he thought I was headlights & still came though the intersection?

He also stated that I rolled really well. Gee thanks.

Despite how well I rolled I still ended up with a broken right wrist, 3 stitches in my upper lip, bruised ribs, & scrapes on my left knee & both forearms. The wrist required surgery to be put back together, which included putting plates & screws in to hold it all together. I'll be in casts for about 6 weeks. Work has put me on short-term disability leave, which gives me full pay for 2 weeks & then 60% pay there after. Hopefully I'll only be out for 3 weeks max because the doctor said I'll get a smaller different cast after the first two weeks after my surgery (I had to wait one week before surgery for all the swelling to go down.

Finally got to see the damage to my scooter yesterday (I vaguely remember seeing the scooter after the crash, before a nurse driving by got out & took care of me till medics arrived). Talking to the repair shop guy, the amount of damage to repair with estimated parts & labor totaled $1000 more than the cost of the scooter itself.

In the second pic note how the center of the seat is off-center compared to the front main post. I was hit hard enough to bend the frame. Seeing that & the rest of the bike I got lucky with just a broken wrist. (If you click on the pics you get a larger image.)



No comments: